In Memory of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second
Our Plans for Monday 19 September
The Queen’s funeral will be held on Monday 19 September, 10:30 - 14:30. We have been working closely with the University to ensure that we are still able to provide a service for students, whilst being considerate of memorial plans.
Receptions (Streatham and St Luke's) - will be open on Monday 19 Sept but will close between 10:30 - 14:30 for the funeral. Usual opening hours will resume from Tues 20 Sept.
Guild Freshers’ Stalls
The delivery of The Guild Freshers’ stalls will be reduced to information stalls for Monday 19 only, to provide signposting and information which will run 09:00 - 10:30 / 14:30 - 17:00 / 18:00 - 20:00
From Tuesday 20 these stalls will continue as originally planned.
Two of our Community Café events are to take place as planned either side of the 10:30 - 14:30 closure period. See FIXR for more details.
The Officer Pub Quiz originally planned for Mon 19 Sept has been replaced by a Games and Craft Night. Tickets are free and can be reserved via FIXR.
The Officer Pub Quiz will now go ahead on Thurs 22 Sept in Forum Kitchen, for your free ticket please see FIXR .
Society-led events are able to go ahead as planned, however, we ask societies to consider the timings of their events to avoid the funeral itself where possible.
The majority of university services and outlets will be open, but timings to be amended to close between 10:30 - 14:30. Some services may be reduced, for more information see the University website.
We are saddened to hear about the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. Her Majesty has been an influential figure to the University of Exeter, starting in 1955 when she presented the University with the Royal Charter, recognising it as the leading institution it is today. Queen Elizabeth II was the longest reigning monarch in British history, during times which saw enormous social change and unprecedented times.
We understand that members of our community may be impacted by this news, we will issue updates to this statement on the University's memorial plans in due course.
- The University chapel will be open for those who wish to gather and light a candle, more details to follow regarding a remembrance service during the period of mourning.
- A floral tribute will be laid at the foundation stone to the Queen's Building (Streatham).
- Flags on campuses will be lowered to half-mast.
- Next week a Book of Condolence will be opened for students who wish to sign at Northcote House Reception (Streatham Campus, next to Great Hall) and St Luke’s Info Point (Ground Floor, South Cloisters Building, St Luke’s Campus).
- Exeter City Council have also opened an online Condolence Book and have included details of physical books across the city.
- The State Funeral will take place in 10 days' time and will be preceded by two minutes' silence, the University will be broadcasting this on campus, details to follow next week.
- The day of the State Funeral is expected to be Monday 19 September, which would be an official Bank Holiday. If so, the University will be closed for normal teaching, research and other activities. We will update on Guild activities due to happen on Monday 19 September shortly.
We are aware that this news and topic can inspire many different opinions and discussions, we hope at this time people can be kind to each other.
The University have released a statement this morning (Friday 9 September) which you will be able to find in your University email inbox.