Moving in

In order to avoid disputes, you should ideally arrange to inspect the house with the landlord or agent at the start of the tenancy noting not only the furnishings but also the condition of walls, flooring, ceilings, doors, windows and fittings. If anything looks less than 100% condition take date stamped photos, even of the most minor defects, as these are the things that can cause the most difficulty in getting your full deposit back at the end of the year. The process should be repeated just prior to the moving out date and a comparison made to look at any attributable damage that you may need to pay for.

When you move in your landlord needs to provide you with a number of documents. If they can’t prove that you had these they lose their right to serve you a section 21 notice.


You will need to contact the energy provider to inform them that you have moved in and give them meter readings. We strongly suggest that you put all tenants names on the account so that you are all liable if any bills were not paid, not just the responsible one.

Useful safety information

It will beneficial for you to know where the following are in your house.

  • The stopcock
  • The water meter
  • The gas and electric meter
  • The gas cut off valve
  • The boiler
  • Fire equipment and exits

I don’t agree with the inventory/condition report

You need to raise any problems with the house as soon as possible in writing. If you do not raise any objections after a period of time it will be assumed that you agree that this will be taken that you agree with this. It is good to have a record of any repair issues when you first move in to get these resolved quickly.

I haven’t been given an inventory/condition report

If you have not been given a condition report you can request one and if you are still not given one, we would recommend that you take photos and make notes so that you create your own.

Can I change the energy providers?

Tenants should be able to look at the most affordable option for them and this may involve changing providers. Ideally the landlord should be requested in writing as if it is not done with consent it may mean that you need to swap back to the original provider at the end of the tenancy.