EU Students

From August 2021, EU students (as well as those from Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland) starting a course at a UK University will only be able to access student finance if they are Irish citizens, have settled status or citizens rights, and they meet the residence criteria for student finance. Government guidance on this is available here.

Students who fall into these categories may be able to access a loan to cover their tuition fees. They may also be eligible for support with living costs if they have settled status and they have been normally living in the UK for at least three years before they begin their study. See the Government information here for more details.

Our information on undergraduate student finance and postgraduate student finance contains more information about student loans for those who are eligible to receive these. The UK Council for International Student Affairs provides information for relevant students on Settled Status. The University also maintains this page with information for EU students.

At the point of writing this page (April 2021), we are not able to give a clear indication of which EU students may be eligible for home status for the purpose of the level of their tuition fees. This is because of the complexity of the newly published regulations relating to this. We anticipate that the UKCISA information above will be updated once this situation becomes clearer.

Please also note that from January 2021, most EU students will require a visa in order to study in the UK. We are not qualified to provide advice on this and would strongly recommend that any students in this position review the University’s information here, and reach out to their visa advice team if they need individual advice.